Thursday, January 12, 2012

Busy like Gangbusters

That's right.  I'm cranking it out like Elliott Ness here in Portland town.  Last night was so good.  That doesn't sound dirty at all, but if you've been following the blog for the past days you know what I mean.  I've been listening to a steady diet of nineties alternative, drawing, painting, sawing, assembling and pacing.  Everything seems to be coming together.  The small bits are making sense with the bigger bits and everything seems to have its spot.  I'm a painter again, not just a draftsman, which is great.

After posting the initial sketch of the thesis project, I immediately started shaping panels to fit the design and then painted said panels.  I rarely measure, so this process is a little more intuitive than you might anticipate.  I like every aspect of the piece to be like creating a painting, not like constructing something from directions.  If I wanted to construct something from directions, I would purchase a paint by numbers kit.

Here's the beginning.  End to be shared in 3 and a half months.

 P.S.  I am tired.  I look surly, and I would like to leave my house because I am feeling antsy.  I promised myself that I would try to stay here though, just to get myself into the habit.  It's going to be a lot of work this semester, so I might as well get focused now, rather than waiting 12 days until the semester begins.  Above all else, I have Douglas Adams ringing in my ears, "Don't panic".

Peace
-Mike

No comments: