Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mighty Lark is my Hero

Here I am sitting in my living room, listening to NIN and pondering this life, and how weird it seems to have made it as far as I have. Yet still there is so far to go. I've stumbled in the past year, was given a second chance (Thank you Blue Bottle) and picked myself back up, dusted myself off, and started to work smarter....not harder.

Yesterday I shipped my Blue Bottle show via the man in Brown. I was just made aware of the show preview which is available on Blue Bottle's website, here. I am very pleased with the show that I amassed for BB. I think it is my best work yet, and I hope everyone who sees it, likes it as well.

This weekend I also needed to get my Avatar piece started for The Hive Gallery. It had been kind of waiting in the wings since the Blue Bottle show was more pertinent, but I finally had some time to work up sketches last night, and came up with this:

We were supposed to use our Avatars from last years' show, so the Mighty Lark was the only detail I had to start with. My Avatar was also supposed to reside in the dark forest region of "Hiveland" and be performing a heroic act. Hence this flying bear.

I started to think about the dark forest, and then extended my thinking to why it was dark. I began to think of it as kind of a Camille Rose Garcia forest, covered in oil. So I started to draw out my rendition of the La Brea Tarpits crossed with the Red Woods National forest and came up with this underpainting this morning.


This really is a nice piece for me to work on right now, as it really isn't held down by any constraints as to pieces I've done in the past that gallery owners would like me to replicate or anything like that. I'm stoked to finish it and will keep all of you folks updated.

Thanks for stopping in, and for the continued support. Y'all come back now, ya hear?
Sincerely
-mike

No comments: