Thursday, January 29, 2009

Raging the old Jam

Yesterday I was sitting back and taking a look at my show. It is a good thing to do when you need to finish work, you need it to look cohesive, and you need it all to be good. There was just one problem. It wasn't looking as good as I'd like. As a group I could tell that the body of work was pretty good, but still suffering from some problems that I had thought that I had evaded by now.

I did the only thing I could. Critique. Beth was kind enough to direct me through a crit, and I left the crit with three pieces that I was solid on, and plans to make three or four more much more successful. To someone else, having three paintings for a show in April done might seem like a cause for concern, but me, I'm just getting started. This is not to say that I haven't been working on the show, but rather that I need the stress to make something good. Here it comes.

So check out the first piece that I've been working up since crit. I am in love with where this is going, and with the fact that it doesn't seem to be taking too long to get where it's going either.
Let me know what you think:

I've been feeling pretty influenced by Mel Kadel, who has given me some more ideas as to how to use space. I hope that I can make this piece really feel what I intend and reflect that. Her work is totally awesome by the way. You should really check it out. It's so good it makes me talk like a cali girl.

The second piece that Beth and I worked on was a piece that I had thought was finished, but upon second thought I really had to agree with her that it was a bit stagnant. Check out the new sketch. The new piece should arrive on the blog soon.

Gotta run to the day job. Whopping four hour shift, maybe I'll post some more stuff later.
peace

-Mike

1 comment:

GlitterFactory said...

I can't wait to see the rest! Love these. Love the new robot sketch particularly!