Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hip Hop and starting new paintings....

I am not always in the mood for hip hop. I listen to such a variety of music while I am drawing and painting, but I find that when I am in the mood for hip hop, I am usually also in the mood to start multiple things......Or as my buddy Paul would put it "to go off"

So today was one of those days, chillin' in the studio listening to some good tunes and just cranking through the issues...

I woke up today with a start, realizing that I need to get half of my show for the Blue Bottle done by December, which is remarkably closer in time proximity than it was the last time that I thought to myself "I really need to get going on this show". So I started off the day anxiously transferring this sketch to a board....becoming anything but jazzed on the drawing and trying to then make it work.

So in the end I ditched the jam box and the head in the middle of the body, etc. Perhaps it would be easier just to look at it....

And this made me much happier. Obviously we are still talking pretty much under painting here, but this is what you get when you do the drawing phases on your final. I am so amped to be using a cassette in this piece. And yes, for those of you wondering, I was thinking about Soundwave when I drew it out.

After I had some color down on this one though, I just started to go, and I ended up laying out the drawing and starting the under painting on another piece as well. And this is where you can tell that I was listening to hip hop as well.

This is just the upper left corner, but hey, I only got a little bit done on it. I think I'm going to keep the very bold palette when I go into the finish on this one though. The near compliments are making me drool a little.....

Keep on keeping on. I'll have some more stuff up soon.

No comments: