Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Where Do I Start?

There is so much to tell.  I think I will write a couple of blog posts tonight just so there is no confusion between the different ideas and projects that I have been working with.  In some cases it seems that the only unifying characteristic is that I did the work to begin with.

It has been a massively productive year.  I have no complaints with my work ethic.  My writing ethic seems to have fallen a little by the wayside, however.  I think I left off on some images of my large scale robots.  Each robot served as an internal location in which to frame a group of paintings and drawings. 


The rest of the robots looked cool too.  I definitely had issues transporting said robots when I was through constructing them though.  That said, they apparently didn't read particularly well as robots either, but seemed more like a human-sized shape.  I'm not sure if that is really a bad thing either.  Below are the installation photos.  Only a month and a half late.






These were awesome to work on, but the big problem with them was exactly that.  They were too BIG.  I hurt my back and neck de-installing the piece and it is still in the bed of my pick up. Hence the thought that perhaps I should make something a little bit smaller.

These guys resulted.  At the same time as I started making these, I started listening to the DJ, Cut Chemist, who is the DJ for Jurassic 5.  His solo, The Audience's Listening, features a song which repeats the line "The Robots are coming" which was stuck in my head the entire time I was making these.



I was incredibly pleased with the way that these worked out and realized while making them that it really was starting to operate in the same way that my work last spring with the blocks was working.  Naturally I decided to combine the two.  Soon I will post the sketches for my thesis which demonstrates that synthesis.

Hope y'all are well and your holiday season is great.
Keep up.
Peace
-Mike

No comments: