Tuesday, February 26, 2013

He's Crafty

On Sunday night I went to bowling with a satchel full of zines to be folded and cut.  As I was sipping an adult beverage the bartender came over and asked me if I wanted my check or if I was going to continue crafting.  She then brought my tab over and my name was filled in as Crafty.  Ever since I've had the Beastie Boys stuck in my head.  I wonder what she would think if she were to see the project that I started today. 

I've long been interested in mail art but have never thought that I had a concept worthy enough of partaking in the process.  After seeing the Peter Madden lecture last week, however, I have had the blanket stitch that uses to hold each page together stuck in my head.  Today is struck me that that blanket stitch around pages looked a lot like the envelopes that I used to receive mail from my pen pal in Germany.  I immediately grabbed a drawing, folded it in half and began to sew.  I have a pile of zines to distribute and so I put one of those in each envelope.



I finished five envelopes today.  Two of them have already been sent out.  I am super stoked to be doing this.  I don't really know what the purpose of the drawing folded in half and made into an envelope is yet, thought I do know that it will take some effort to get the envelopes open.  There is a definite possibility that the drawings on the inside will be damaged, and I think I am rather particular to that idea.  There is something to this that I really enjoy and when I figure out what it is, I will be sure to let you know.

Peace
-Mike