Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Lumberjack Series

The other day when my chef said that I looked like 1/2 chef and 1/2 lumberjack, I do not think that he had necessarily intended to give me an idea for a series, but he did. So far it is making me quite pleased too. I am trying to create some contrast between flat patterns and round rendering. In the end I would like the pieces to have fairly realistic looking facial features and very flat pattern clothing. Sort of like a Gustav Klimt piece but without as much glitz. I want the pattern to be really plain, speaking about where I come from.


Naturally the models that I am referencing in this series of pieces are people that I feel very close to, some folks I grew up with, my gramps, and my father, and of course one of myself. Here is a quick sneak peek of what I've been working on. There will be a lot more soon.

I'm pretty stoked to be working on the human figure again, even if it is a relatively loose concept. Hopefully I can finish a couple before I send out my materials for graduate school. I think it would be good to have some more figurative work in my portfolio. Otherwise whoever is reviewing my work will think that all I can paint is birds and bulldozers. Little known fact "Slaves and Bulldozers" was originally "Birds and bulldozers" but Chris Cornell had to change the lyrics to make the song a bit sludgier to go with Kim Thayill's riffage. Just kidding.

Hope you all have a really good night. I'm going to.
peace
-Mike

No comments: