Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Process Has Changed

It is easy to fall behind.  It is easy to feel as though you are not doing the things that you are supposed to be doing.  As creatives we have our studio practices, our own marketing through social media and snail media, pricing and selling, applications to shows, events, and jobs, and most of the time we also have a day job, families, and friends.  It is easy to fall behind.

I work a lot.  I work on lot on my brand and my work and I work especially hard to try to be the father and husband that I have hoped I could be for years.  This space has become next to dormant. There are several reasons; instagram, the lack of what seems a valid thing to say, and a shift in my daily necessities.  Before I had a family I could aimlessly work through my day, facing one challenge after another rather fluidly.  Now I live a more rigid life on a sometimes unforgiving schedule.  The fact remains that I still make the work.  I have just started posting it to instagram and I feel like I have less time to talk about it.  Then I think back to my older posts and realize that I never said much until graduate school came along and I determined that I couldn't write.  I determined that I couldn't write and then I started to try to write like everyone that I was forced to read in order to tread academic waters.

I teach now.  I would say that I do not speak this idiom, still.  One of the major reasons I have trouble posting here is that I expect too much out of what I write.  But don't people just want to see my paintings and sketches anyway?  I'm going to try to get myself back here with less expectation.  We'll see what happens.

Peace
Mike

No comments: