Sunday, June 26, 2016

A Wisp and a Flourish

Watercolor is really trendy. At least that's what my wife tells me. She says its in. I think that it is probably always kind of in. There is something to it, much like old Eastern brushwork pieces, that truly transcends an "other" from the individual painting. 

This week I got a new watercolor kit, thanks to my mom, still my biggest artist patron.  The set came with a number 6 brush which felt awfully large to me, but as I started to use it, I realized what a fine point it would hold and that by varying my pressures and angles I could start to get some of those "watercolor" strokes people talk about.   I mean those strokes that look completely like an accident, like you gave into the world in some sort of Buddhist awareness and just let your actions be. The strokes are surprisingly satisfying even if there is a certain level of awareness to making them. 

Here are my last two bugs which I was really able to let "be."



I also started a podcast where I begin to discuss the method behind making one of these bugs every week. It's really just giving voice to some of the inner monologue while you paint. You can catch that on my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/mighty_lark/the-mighty-lark-episode-1-the-golden-drak
Let me know what you think. 

Have a good Sunday, y'all. 
Peace
Mike


No comments: