Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Getting Ready to Move and hanging in there...

I've been getting really into smoke coming out of machinery. I really want to do a series of machines with different smoke pouring out all of them, but the more I start with construction equipment and smoke the more I keep adding things; super pleasant things like leveled forests and whatnot...

The only thing that I really don't like about this series idea is the tendency to put the machinery in the lower left and right corners. Perhaps I will start to push myself to put the machinery in the upper left and right. Who knows what I will become obsessed with really. Composition is something that kind of runs in cycles with me. I'll do one thing with a bunch of different imagery and then I will look at it all and it will kind of fit a pattern.

I also had this idea for a Dia De los Muertos skull coming out in the smoke. My grandfather was a grater operator, and I guess that is what I always think of when I think of him. So when I was asked to do a DDLM piece, it kind of seemed fitting.


So here's one of the pieces that I have up at Latona now. I'm pretty excited about it. It's about five feet high, and I cut the stereos out in about two hours one night when I was totally exhausted and probably hallucinating. The birds I was awake for.
Here's an idea for a poem that my friend Mattie was working on. He mentions the sky with a tear. I started to think about it as a tear like in fabric despite the fact that I knew very well that he meant the watery kind of tear.

1 comment:

Camwyn said...

Mike,

I really like the radios/birds one.

As for the tendency to put the machinery in the lower corners - if they're in the upper corners, where will the smoke go?

Can't wait to see you guys!