Saturday, February 6, 2010

Smoke Continued & Wallets

It has been a fair amount of time since I've last posted. My apologies. It has been immensely busy on this end, both producing some artwork and also with that 9-5 job thing, and applying to the curating program at Bard College (cross your fingers by the way).

I have finally scanned in a little bit more work, though I am only blogging a couple things today. The smoke series is continuing, and I am happy to say is becoming a bit more amorphous. It was really good for me to be working loosely with the small drawings for the Concord Variety because it got me drawing quicker and thinking about the whole piece again. So where do we go from here?

Smoke in a scene with other people. This piece is also based a little on conversations I've had with friends about too much social media in public. So I'm going for a serene old man surrounded by a techie invasion in this piece. So far I'm feeling pretty good about it. I really want the paint to be sort of the ethereal nature of De Chirico. Surreal is good, but not all out surrealism.

This piece is by no means done, but it is a big step for me, because I am starting to think a little more about including elements from home, and having the smoke interact. It really has a little more depth in meaning, which is something that I've really been struggling with for some time. So I hope you enjoy some of these new pieces coming up.

Second and on a completely different note, I've started work on a wallet design for Tinymeat via my use of Twitter. So there you go all of you Twitter naysayer, it is most definitely good for something. Haha. Here is the front piece for that wallet.

I love the squirrel. So expect some more squirrels in the future. It is a bit of a shout out the The Bird Machine in Chicago. Jay Ryan's squirrels kick butt! So there you have a bit of what I've been working/thinking on. I hope that you like the direction things are taking and if not, there's some other stuff coming up soon, so hopefully everybody will have something they like.

until then.
peace
-Mike

No comments: