Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Feed Your Soul Project

February has been quite the sparse month for blog posts. I apologize. My day job has been very busy and I have been taking some time for rest and relaxation after getting all of my paperwork for graduate school applications submitted.

It has been a busy year, but it has paid off. I have two exciting bits of news today. First off Indie Fixx has approached me to be involved with the Feed Your Soul project, and I have had a little time to put together a piece for them. As I understand it, you will be able to get a free print available only through the Indie Fixx website. I will be doing two or three different prints for the project. Here is the initial drawing for the first. I really like it.

The Feed Your Soul project is pretty self explanatory. What is it that feeds your soul? So I was looking through my bird books and found a book that compares the musical notes that birds make. This is a series of three different musical lines taken from Indigo Buntings over a three year period, indicating a change in song over generations of Buntings. The music is still very similar. I tried to show different generations through different hats. I think it works pretty well. Let me know what you think, and I'll let you know when the print is available.

The second bit of news is absolutely amazing to me. Anyone who has known me very long will tell you that I've wanted to get into graduate school for at least the past five years. Finally I can stop wondering, because I've been accepted to the Maine College of Art's MFA in painting with a focus on Independent Curating. I am thoroughly excited and look forward to what this will do for my work and my world scope.

Lastly, thank you to all of the new followers of the blog. It is lovely to see folks checking the blog out after all of this time. For those of you there from the beginning, can you believe that it's been a little over three years. Love it!

All of you have a good holiday! Go hug your Mom! She misses you.
until next time
-Mike

3 comments:

Kt Mac said...

Stumbled across your blog while looking for mine! Darn my memory ;-) Congrats on getting in to art school, you have gift and now you can build on that even more, how exciting! I love your "feed the soul" musical birds. I am no artist nor academic but it feed and freed my soul to see that pict. Keep adding beauty to the world.

Jon Ashton said...

Those birds remind me of the Mighty Lark, who will be missed.

Jesson said...

wow very creative