Sunday, July 27, 2014

Patterns and Totems

Working in the studio is now a much bigger treat than it ever has been before.  I suppose I was not quite aware how much time and effort would be involved with raising a child.  I bring Austin to studio quite regularly and sometimes he even lets me get some painting done.  Sometimes he ends up making me read to him and feed him, but hey he's a baby and that's cool.

I have been in the midst of a pretty big project.  I am preparing for Picnic Arts and Music festival in Portland, ME.  The event is actually in a park that I can see from my living room.  I participated last year and met several great connections, sold a lot of work, and had a lot of fun.  The show in Bangor was a direct result of Picnic.  I am creating 100 different totems to sell of varying sizes.  As I've been working through the pieces, I've slowly been getting more and more into the patterns and edgings.  You can get a good idea of the progress on these pieces from my instagram account.  

Studio is often some pretty lonesome time.  Today I got a video of the piece that my old shop mate out in Seattle was working on, so I took a quick video to send back his way.  It's a series of close ups of the pieces that I've been working on today and then a pan of the group of finished totems.  They are starting to look like a real force when you look at them all together.  I love it.


I'm really pleased with this work and I can't wait to get it all out there at Picnic.  I'm hoping that the public will appreciate it like I do.

Peace
-Mike

No comments: