Last summer I was talking with a friend concerning the segmented paintings that I was putting together utilizing power lines and pipes. We determined that we could set up some of those paintings with a qr code which would then allow an animation to play on the viewers' phone screen. I never completed the animation because of lack of confidence.
Since that failure, I have had some major boosts to my confidence and I have gotten a good deal more rest than I was getting. Last Saturday while teaching class, I began to lay out thumbnails for an animation. I have long had a loose plan for an animation but have as of yet not been able to create anything concrete story wise. However, as I have become more comfortable with the changing events in my life I have grown more tolerant of chance. I have also been reading James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young man which has had me contemplating stream of consciousness. The thumbnails started to look like a completed animation to me. Another undergraduate professor had assigned a project which involved scanning in a tiny drawing and blowing it up to life size. The drawings all looked pixelated and rough, but I thought to myself that perhaps that was a bit of the look that I am going for now. The thumbnails needed to be their own piece.
Here are a couple pages from my sketchbook as I worked through the process.
I'm overwhelmingly pleased with how this has turned out so far. I have already started the second page of drawings. I think that I should be able to get about a minute worth of animation in a week.