Monday, December 13, 2010

On Sunday Morning I met a woman named Julika

Sunday morning the MECA MFA students all piled into a very small studio atop a lighting fixture store in Williamsburg in order to peruse the exquisite work of Julika Rudelius. She spoke incredibly eloquently of race and money and power, and also of the social male. She claimed that men in this time are equally if not more concerned with their looks than are their female counterparts. As a moniker, she dubbed them "Dandies".

I have never aligned myself with this sort of man. I am more what my very good friend refers to simply as "a dude". And so I decided to make some work about the subject, about how all people, men included have their anxieties, their situations that they just can't handle, the shortcomings and inadequacies that are what make us all human.

So with the head project still pumping through my veins, and a new goal in mind, I started thinking on the bus ride back from New York. Here are the results of my thought. Finals will follow in the next couple of weeks.

The text in the one on the left reads "emotionally fragile". It's funny when I start to admit to myself that I do have my emotional tirades on paper, that it feels so much better. I think that most people do though.
I really like this second one. I think all these text pieces should be accompanied by men with Sam Elliot staches.

So beat. Time for bed. We'll have to chat again soon.
Peace
-Mike

No comments: